Design and build of spaces include Mahkota Medical Centre (Mahkota Medical Centre (MMC))’s Main Reception, Health Screening Centre, Dental Centre, Rehabilitation Centre, Cardiac Catherisation Lab (Cathlab), Admin Office, Bakery & Café, and Retail Pharmacy.
- The design and build project by Kyoob-id for Mahkota Medical Centre (MMC), a 288-bed private hospital located within the business district and historical landmarks of Malacca, Malaysia commenced in 2009 and was completed in March 2012. The redesign of Mahkota Medical Centre (MMC), which stands as an existing site, focused on creating a conducive environment for patients and visitors as well as reinforcing the positioning of Mahkota Medical Centre (MMC) as a premier, progressive, and dynamic healthcare services leader in the region.
- Mahkota Medical Centre (MMC) values the importance of a patient’s experience at a healthcare institution and places top priority on ensuring his or her comfort and ease of convenience. During the design phase, Kyoob-id initiated several intensive discussions and carried various studies to understand the operational flow within and among departments. The result was an intricate spatial planning that improved the work flow for Mahkota Medical Centre (MMC)’s staff and visitors’ traffic alike.
- Michelle Goh, Design Director of Kyoob-id said: “To develop a warm, friendly, and service-oriented environment, we envisioned the areas to be fluid, open, and seamless, with environmental graphics featuring wayfinding and the human element as key focuses. We aimed to create an uplifting and calm environment, one where the patients can feel comfortable and relaxed. At the same time, we wanted the space to be functional, dynamic, and modern and progressive.”
- The utilisation of clean, sleek lines reflects Mahkota Medical Centre (MMC)’s dynamism and professionalism while the fluid curves in the interior highlight a seamless operation, an attribute the comprehensive one-stop healthcare services provider values highly. Full-height environmental graphics predominantly of smiling and happy faces, strategically positioned at high-traffic areas, were chosen for their lifestyle connotations and the refreshing, uplifting ambience they portray.
- Materials and textures, such as stained maple, white and grey veneers and silver laminates selected for majority of wall fixtures, further augmented the young and refreshing ambience. At the Reception, different material finishes used in the marble stone wall and white-coloured back glass compounded with the warm LED lighting to portray a classy simplicity and yet personable warmth at the same time.
- Throughout these areas, especially at the waiting lounges of Health Screening and Cathlab, a vibrant colour palette such as lime green and yellow was adopted evidenced in the wall laminates, painting and furniture, adding a dash of energy to the waiting experience. These cohesive design elements work in synergy to create a conducive environment, one where the patient can experience utmost reliability, trust, and comfort – at the same time creating a signature style for Mahkota Medical Centre (MMC) and setting it apart from others.
- “I am impressed with the design. The design by Kyoob-id has created a huge change in the patient experience. The interior now stands out as one-of-its-kind design, a design not typically found in hospitals anywhere in the region,” added Mahkota Medical Centre (MMC)’s CEO Tim Chang. “It’s not easy to redesign and remodel Mahkota as it’s one of the busiest hospitals in Malaysia. However, Kyoob-id managed to carry out all refurbishments with minimal disturbances to the hospital’s operations despite the high patient load. Not many interior design companies are able to execute such extraordinary work given the numerous challenges faced in refurbishing the hospital, which is also governed by strict renovation guidelines.”